Three Communication Companies that Dominate American Connectivity

Comcast, Verizon and AT&T are the three major cable companies that dominate American connectivity. They’re also the three biggest phone companies in America.

Comcast Corporation
Comcast offers reliable Comcast internet plansto both commercial and residential customers. Apart from offering communications services and products, the company also offers information and entertainment services and products in 40 US states and the District of Columbia.

With its headquarters in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Comcast has a strong hold on various cable networks which include E! Entertainment Television, Golf Channel, G4, Style Network and NBC Sports Network. In January, 2011, the company held a 51% majority stake in the stocks of NBCUniversal. In February, 2013, it initiated the process of buying the remaining 49% at the purchase price of $16.3 billion. Although the company faces stiff competition from other internet service providers, it has always stayed ahead by providing top-notch Comcast internet plansto consumers, both commercial and residential.

Verizon Communications Inc.
Verizon is a well-known and established broadband and telecommunications company in the US. Verizon actually started as Bell Atlantic in 1983 and was based in Philadelphia with its service coverage extending from New Jersey to Virginia. It moved its headquarter to New York when it merged with NYNEX in 1996. The name “Verizon” came into the limelight in September, 1999 when the company went into a wireless joint venture with UK-based Vodafone.

After it succeeded in the acquisition of GTE, an independent phone company, in 2000, the company finally adopted the name Verizon Communications Inc. The company is now headquartered in Verizon Building, 140 West Street, Lower Manhattan, New York City. With its Verizon Wireless service, the joint venture between it and Vodafone Plc, the company is known to be the largest wireless carrier in the US based on the high number of its subscribers.

AT&T Inc.
AT&T has the most storied history of the three. It is an American multinational telecommunications company that has its headquarters in Whitacre Town, in downtown Dallas, Texas. Rated as the largest provider of fixed and mobile telephone services in the US, the company has also made its mark as far as internet and connectivity is concerned. It is also rated as the largest Dallas company and third-largest company in Texas, coming behind ExxonMobil and ConocoPhillips.

Closely related to Verizon, the company started out as Southwestern Bell Corporation in 1983, after the parent company, American Telephone and Telegraph Company was divested. In 1995, the company changed its name to SBC Communications Inc. and when it acquired the former parent company, AT&T Corp. in 2005, it adopted the name, AT&T Inc and maintained the use of AT&T Corp. stock trading symbol and logo.

Comments are closed.