How to reclaim care home fees

It’s estimated that, of those in registered care homes and residential care homes, 44% and 39% respectively are self-funders. This means that they have saved throughout the years in order to be able to pay for their own care, rather than relying on the government to assist them.

Paying for your own care comes with many benefits, such as:

  • You get to choose where you live, rather than the local council making the decision for you. This also means that you can select a care home close to your family, so they’ll be able to visit often.
  • If you wanted to, you could pay extra for a private room or even a bungalow within the care home.
  • Often, having the ability to pay for your own care means that you have saved a considerable amount of money. This can provide you with financial security.
  • Putting money away towards your care can ensure that you don’t have to sell your home in order to be able to pay for your care home fees.
  • You wouldn’t have to rely on family members to pay for your care.

NHS Continuing Care

In some cases, even if a person has saved towards their care in later life, they may not need to use their savings. The NHS Continuing Care scheme is designed to assist those suffering from health complications that require care.

Am I eligible?

In order to be eligible for NHS Continuing Care the person must:

  •  Have a serious long-term illness or complex medical condition
  • Require on-going healthcare
  • Suffer from a disability

NHS Continuing Care can cover the full cost of living in a care home. This includes the costs associated with accommodation, board, and assistance from carers.

What if I live at home?

NHS Continuing Care is available to those living in their own home as well. The funding can go towards paying for the services of a nurse or therapist, and can also cover the cost of a carer to help with washing, dressing, cooking, cleaning and other household chores.

What if I’m already paying for my own care?

Many people are unaware that NHS Continuing Care exists and so pay for their own care when they’re actually eligible for funding. If this has happened to you, you can apply to the NHS for a refund.

I’m paying for my relative’s care because they can’t afford to

Family members that take up the cost of their relative’s care when they are unable can also ask for a refund. However, the person in care must be aware that a refund has been requested and must sign all relevant documents.

If approved, a considerable financial burden could be lifted from the family members’ shoulders, as the NHS would begin paying for their relative’s care while also backdating fees.

I need help with my refund application

If you don’t think you’ll be able to apply for a refund on your own, either because you want to make sure that everything is correct or because you don’t understand the process; don’t worry.

There are lots of companies specialising in NHS Continuing Care reviews. All you have to do is give them the required details and evidence and they can apply for a refund for you. They will handle all of the paperwork so that you can get on with the more important things in your life.

Is there a deadline?

Yes – the cut-off date for refund applications is 31st March 2013.

This deadline only applies to those that moved into a care home between 1st April 2011 and 31 March 2012.

If you think you or your relative is eligible for a refund, look online now to find an NHS Continuing Care review specialist to help you.


This article was written by Aurora Johnson on behalf of Cheselden Continuing Care, an independent continuing care review specialist. 

Comments are closed.